About VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) Program

VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) Program


The VITA Program offers free tax assistance to individuals who meet certain qualifications. Volunteers help prepare basic income tax returns for low-income taxpayers or those with special needs such as the elderly, non-English speaking persons, and persons with disabilities. We offer assistance in following languages: English, Arabic, Spanish, Swahili, Dari, Urdu, Farsi, Karen, Mandarin, Vietnamese, Korean,  Gujarati, Hindi. 

For more information please contact Krupa Acharya at (619) 286-9052 ext. 247


Our operating hours are (February 1 to April 17): Mondays: 4:00 pm-8:00 pm, Wednesdays: 4:00 pm-8:00 pm, and Saturdays: 9:00 am-1:00 pm. To schedule your appointment, please call Krupa Acharya at (619) 286-9052 ext. 247 or call 211.   


My Free Taxes - do it yourself for free: If your household income in 2016 was $54,000 or less, you can file your state and federal tax returns, please click HERE  to file taxes for free. At our VITA site you can have access to a computer and have assistance to file your taxes yourself! 

Taxpayers must bring to the VITA Appointment: 

• Proof of identification – Picture ID 
• Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or 
• Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents 
• Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN 
• Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return 
• Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers 
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099) 
• A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available 
• Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check 
• Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate 
• Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements 
• To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.